Sales enquiries

Artemis waiting on final protocol before America’s Cup decision – Nathan Outteridge

Home > News > Artemis waiting on final protocol before America’s Cup decision – Nathan Outteridge
Oct. 15 / 2017


Nathan Outteridge skippered Artemis in the Louis Vuitton challenger series for the 2017 America’s Cup. Photo credit: Photosport

While the New York Yacht Club is set to compete for the America’s Cup again, along with challengers of record Luna Rossa, just who else will be on the start line in Auckland in 2021 remains to be seen.

Team New Zealand was pushed hard by Swedish syndicate Artemis in Bermuda before Peter Burling and co beat Oracle Team USA to win the Auld Mug.

Artemis’ owner Torbjörn Törnqvist is waiting to see the full protocol, and just what the switch back to monohulls means before committing to the race, skipper Nathan Outteridge told Andrew Gourdie and Jim Kayes on RadioLIVE’s Sunday Sport.

“The protocol doesn’t specifically say what type of boat, but a change to monohulls means a reasonable change,” said Outteridge.

“Speaking for myself I’d like to see the progression and development of high-performance sailing boats, but it’s not my position to make that decision so we’ll have to wait and see.”

He said Törnqvist was “very passionate” about the direction the America’s Cup was heading in.

“He thinks that for himself and his involvement in sailing, he would like the high performance foiling yachts, so I think that will play a big part in what he wants to do,” Outteridge said.

“But until we see the full details, it’s hard to make a commitment one way or another.”

It’s not yet known if the monohulls will be foiling or not.

If Artemis decide not to compete at the 36th edition of the America’s Cup, Outteridge admitted he’s not sure exactly what he would do, but he is expecting them to challenge.


Artemis’ owner Torbjörn Törnqvist. Photo credit: AAP

“I’m very committed to Artemis at this stage,” he said.

“I have been with them for the last two campaigns and had many discussions with Törnqvist about the team’s future, so should the team decide to go ahead and race at the America’s Cup I’ll be there with them putting together a sailing team.

“Having said all that, if the team decides not to enter, I haven’t thought that far ahead, so we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

Team Oracle’s Tom Slingsby has previously told RadioLIVE that he is keen on an Australian team rising to the challenge of competing at the next America’s Cup in Auckland.

Outteridge said Artemis decides not to compete, he’d want to join the Australian boat.

“I think that would great if Tom could make that happen,” said Outteridge.

“It’s about finding the right people and getting them involved, and I think Tom has been working hard on that, so I’m confident he will be able to get it together.

“Tom and I have been mates for a long time and funnily enough we have never sailed together, so if Artemis decided not to go ahead, then I’d love to compete with Australia.”

Source: Newshub

Source website link